"Put a quote about this species, ideally from a source not from that species, here."Unfettered" Hai. The term "Hai" generally refers to their peaceful faction, the one closest to the wormhole. The Unfettered constantly attack the Hai for resources and territory, forcing the Hai to fight back in self-defense.
According to the "regular" Hai, they were as warlike a species as humans in times long past. They constantly fought civil wars, but eventually came to the realization that they would be better off with a small selection of colonies rather than the immense freedom that humans have. Some time in their history, the Hai were invaded by an alien species, the Korath. To protect their homelands, some brave Hai, who would later become the Unfettered, rose up to resist the invaders. The invasion lasted for decades, but then abruptly ended. Most Hai were glad to return to their peaceful lives, but some Hai found life to be boring and meaningless without the excitement and unpredictability of war, and so they settled worlds in the extreme north of Hai space, forming their own faction, the Unfettered Hai. Closer to modern times, the Hai were eventually visited by "humans:" the Alphas. Because of the their extreme innate hostility towards other species, the Alphas tried to take advantage of the Hai whom they deemed to be weak because of their peacefulness, but were overwhelmed and banned from Hai space. Later, the Hai were visited by regular humans, who showed the Hai that not all humans were evil.
The Hai resemble human sized squirrels.
All of the Hai ships are named after some type of invertebrate creature that may or may not make up part of a Hai diet.
The Hai are designed to be a "tier 1.5" race, roughly in between tier 1 races like humans and tier 2 races like the Wanderers, although some players consider them to be closer to "tier 1.1."
The Hai are generally very friendly towards other species, and only ever fight in self-defense (or so they claim).
- Humans: The Hai are particularly friendly towards human merchants and explorers because their society has stagnated, and so they look to humans for change and excitement. They have, in fact, made diplomatic contact with the Republic, but this is kept secret from most of humanity so that the Hai can prepare for the slowly increasing human population in their space.
- Alphas: The Alphas were the first "humans" to visit the Hai, but because of their cruel and selfish nature, they were banned from Hai space.
- Unfettered Hai: The Hai and the Unfettered have an extremely asymmetrical relationship; while the Hai view the Unfettered as an "excited" militia of sorts after being invaded by the Korath, and are apparently indebted to them, the Unfettered perceive the Hai as weak cowards and look down upon them.
- Kor Efreti
- Kor Mereti
- Kor Sestor
- Quarg: The Hai and Quarg, while they don't often mention each other to the player, seem to be on friendly terms, as the Hai have allowed for a Quarg ringworld to be built in their space in Hevru Hai. Hai ships can be seen landing on and taking off from the ringworld, indicating possible trade relations.
- Pug: The Hai have not yet interacted with the Pug, as far as we know.
- Wanderers: Until the player notifies the Hai of the Wanderers' existence, they are completely unaware of them, but once they are, they are eager to pursue diplomatic relations with the Wanderers and try their best to stop the Unfettered attacks on the Wanderers, but fail because of their peaceful beliefs.
- Drak: The Hai are apparently grateful for the Drak because, as they claim, the Drak made them think about the choice of whether to have expansive territory with endless warfare, or a small group of colonies with peace. The Hai chose the latter.
- The Quarg ringworld in Hai space is the only complete (and intact) ringworld the player can visit in the game.